After, over 4 decades, of involvement, in nearly every aspect of leadership, especially planning, from identifying, qualifying, training, developing, and consulting, to over a thousand actual, and/ or, potential leaders, to serving, personally, in several positions, for various sized – groups, I have come to strongly believe, very few, truly want, to become SMART leaders, because they, either, fail to fully understand the necessities, or are unwilling to commit, to making a quality difference, for the better! With that in mind, this article will briefly. attempt to consider, review, and discuss, using the mnemonic approach, what this means, and why it is worth pursuing.
1. System; sustainable; solutions; service; strengths; stronger: The main objective/ goal should be, to make his group, stronger, and more relevant! He must, objectively, understand his organization’s strengths, as well as weaknesses, and perceive and conceive of, create, develop, and implement the finest possible system, focused on quality, sustainable solutions, and true service, which serves his constituents needs and perceptions, as well as the best interests of the organization.
2. Make mark; mention; meaningful; motivate: Measure the value of a leader, by whether he makes his mark, in a positive way, which brings his group, forward, in a relevant, sustainable manner! To achieve this, he must thank them, for their assistance, mention their contributions, and positively motivate many, to get more involved/ committed, and, perhaps, seek future leadership roles and positions! When one does this, his service becomes far more meaningful!
3. Attitude; aptitude; attention; articulate: The message, one articulates, is generally, directly related, to the quality, and whether, he possesses, a true, can – do, positive attitude. When this is combined with a well – developed, skill – set, and relevant aptitude, he proceeds, to pay keen attention to what’s most essential, and articulates a motivating, inspiring message!
4. Relevant; realistic; rationale: Smart leaders provide relevant, realistic leadership, and meaningful, leadership planning, and strategic, and action plans! They examine, in an introspective, objective way, their personal rationale, and articulate it clearly!
5. Timely; trends; true/ truthful: One of the challenges of effectively leading, is to remain truthful, even when it may not be, the easiest path! A true leader, consistently, identifies, the most relevant trends, and uses them, to proceed, to provide, well – considered, timely actions!
If you are not willing, or able, to proceed, forward, and seek to be a better leader, you’ll never become the vehicle of change, you must be, to act, as a truly, SMART leader! Are you ready, willing, and able, to be, up, to the task?