Although, many individuals, are, either, elected, selected, and/ or, ascend to positions of leadership, very few, truly, ever, become, meaningful, relevant, effective, real leaders! Part of this, might be, because, organizations, pay, far, too little attention, to identifying, qualifying, training, developing, and supporting the process, and necessity, of taking every possible effort, to use, a professionally created, leadership training program, to enhance the level of their leaders. Another significant cause, of this dearth of genuine leadership, is, because, the motives, reasons, etc, of some potential leaders, either, is unrealistic, or, these individuals are, either, unwilling, or not ready, to objectively, introspectively, examine, whether, they are the right person, to serve, as a LEADER! With that in mind, this article will attempt to briefly, consider, review, and discuss, using the mnemonic approach, some of what’s involved, in doing so.
1. Listen; learn; leading: How can anyone, be leading, until/ unless, they begin, by effectively listening (far more than they speak), and committing, to continuously, learning from every conversation, and experience, in the most relevant way? You’ll never become a leader, unless/ until, you emphasize serving others, rather than any personal agenda, and/ or, political/ self – interest!
2. Empathy; energy: When one listens, effectively, and prioritizes, what he learns, and is willing to emphasize, serving others, and the group, instead of himself, he becomes capable of proceeding with the level of genuine empathy, needed and necessary! A great leader energizes others, and draws his personal energy, from inspiring and motivating other, constantly and continuously!
3. Attitude; attention; aptitude; articulate: Will you proceed, consistently, with a true, positive, can – do, attitude, and pay attention, to priorities, rather than dwelling on petty stuff? One must undergo the training to enhance, and develop the needed, skill – set, and quality aptitude! In order to inspire and motivate, a true leader must be ready, willing, and able, to articulate a message, which drives others, towards unity, rather than polarizing!
4. Delve deeply; discover: Go beyond the surface, and the path, of least resistance, and delve deeply, in order to discover, the best way, to proceed, in a relevant, sustainable way!
5. Excellence; enrich: All great leaders demand their highest level of personal excellence, and emphasize, enriching, those they serve, and the organization, they represent!
6. Relevant; responsive; realistic: True leaders proceed, in a relevant way, in order to make their groups better, and more responsive/ responsible! They never avoid the need, to be, both, realistic, as well as, both, pragmatic, and idealistic!
Do you have, what it takes, to be, a real, meaningful, LEADER? Why do you believe, you will be the best person, to undergo, the tasks and responsibilities?