If you decide, you want to be, and are the appropriate person, to serve and represent a particular group, and set of constituents, as their leader, you should, seriously consider, analyze, and determine, what you hope to achieve, your personal reasons, actual motives, and, particularly, what you STRIVE to achieve! Quite often, the main difference between meaningful leaders, and the rest – of – the – pack, can be measured by the quality, relevance, and sustainability of these motives, and intentions. With that in mind, this article will attempt to briefly consider, analyze, review and discuss, using the mnemonic approach, some of the essential considerations, and differences.
1. Strengthen; system; solutions; sustainable: Perhaps, the single – biggest, necessity, to be a quality leader, is the focus on, and determination to, strengthen the group, and leave it stronger, after one’s tenure, then when assuming any position! One must develop an easy – to – replicate/ duplicate, relevant system, which focuses on seeking viable solutions, rather than merely blaming others, and/ or complaining! These ideas must be, both, truly relevant, and sustainable, focused on bringing the group, represented, into the future, in a meaningful, effective way!
2. Timely: Never procrastinate, or put things off, merely because of concern, for personal comfort, and/ or convenience, or to avoid being blamed! Quality leaders must proceed, consistently, in a well – considered, timely manner!
3. Relevant; responsive; responsible; realistic: True leaders weigh the risk, versus the rewards, in a responsible, realistic manner, and focus on the best way to proceed, rather than the path of least resistance! Only when one commits, to providing relevant, responsive leadership, will he make a significant difference, for the better.
4. Ideas; imagination; ideology: Consider whether your core ideology, is, in sync with, that of your organization, and stakeholders! Proceed, with the well – developed, imagination, to provide relevant ideas, by considering, outside – the – box, options and alternatives!
5. Views; vision; value; values: A leader must possess insights and views, which align with the vital, vibrant vision of the specific organization, and the values, it represents! Leaders only attract followers, when they address, both, the actual and perceptual concepts, of providing meaningful, relevant value!
6. Empathy; emphasis; endurance; excellence; evolving: Times evolve, and sustainable organizations must consistently be, evolving, in a relevant, sustainable way! One must be ready, willing and able, to listen, far more than speaking, and learn from every conversation and experience, in order to proceed with genuine, essential, empathy! When one’s emphasis, is combined with the endurance to pursue, the highest degree of personal excellence, a leader is born!
Real leaders STRIVE to make a significant difference, for the better! Are you ready to lead?