After more than four decades, of personal involvement, in nearly all aspects of leadership, and leadership planning, from identifying, qualifying, training, developing and consulting to over a thousand, actual, and/ or potential leaders, to serving as a leader, for various, sized (with different purposes and missions) groups/ organizations, I have come to believe, although better LEADING is, indeed, needed, the process, is a somewhat complicated one, because, there is, no such thing, as a, one – size – fits – all, way of proceeding, and succeeding. With that in mind, this article, will attempt to briefly consider, examine, review, and discuss, using the mnemonic approach, some of the keys and/ or essentials, needed, and necessary.
1. Listen; learn: Too many times, someone ascends to a position of leadership, believing he has all the answers, and proceeding, with a, My way or the highway philosophy/ perspective/ approach! True leaders, however, realize, they must learn to effectively listen, thoroughly, to those they serve and represent, and focus on learning, in a relevant way, the best way to proceed, in order to do so, in a way, which addresses, both needs, as well as perceptions!
2. Empathy; emphasis; energize; excellence: When a leader proceeds with the utmost degree of genuine empathy, he places his emphasis, where it is most needed, and will do, the most good! Shouldn’t leaders seen to energize his stakeholders, by consistently demanding his utmost degree of personal excellence?
3. Attitude; aptitude; attention: How can anyone, hope, and expect to lead, in a meaningful way, unless/ until, he proceeds, with a consistently, positive, can – do, attitude? When this is combined with a relevantly developed. skill – set, he becomes capable of demonstrating the aptitude, to do, what’s needed, and pay attention, to ramifications, and contingencies!
4. Delve deeply; discover: One must go beyond the surface, and delve deeply, into the options and alternatives, and create a quality strategic and action plan! When he does this, he becomes capable of discovering, what he needs to do, to become the leader, his organization, needs, and deserves!
5. Integrity; imagination; ideas; ideology: Great leading demands the utmost degree of genuine, absolute integrity, combined with the well – developed, relevant imagination, to introduce the best ideas, to align, with the ideology of the specific organization!
6. Needs; nuances; nerve: Quality leadership must be based on the needs of the organization, and stakeholders, and the individual, must use methods, which take advantage of all relevant nuances, of the specific group! It also means, he must possess the nerve, to think, outside – the – box, and expand the limitations of his personal comfort zone!
7. Generate goodwill; growth: For any group to remain relevant, and sustainable, it must consistently undergo, the necessary growth, to evolve, as needed and necessary. A true leader realizes, this can only be achieved, if he generates goodwill, by, both his message (articulated), as well as his actions!
These are some of the basics, or essentials of LEADING. Are you the right person, to strive, to become a leader?