Most organizations, be better served, and represented, if / when, the primary focus, and emphasis, was on, the best approaches, and ways, to proceed, for the common good, and addressing, both, the relevant, as well as final, sustainable future needs, of the group, and both, the existing, and potential constituents? After over four decades, of involvement in almost every aspect of leadership, from identifying, qualifying, and training, to developing, and consulting, to over a thousand actual, and potential leaders, and serving in various positions, as a leader, I refer to the most effective approach, as SPOT – ON leadership! With that in mind, this article will attempt to briefly consider, examine, review, and discuss, using the mnemonic approach, why this matters.
1. System; strengths; stronger; service; sustainable; solutions: Before anyone can make a real difference, for the better, he must recognize, the group’;s and his personal, strengths and weaknesses, and use the strong – suits, effectively and efficiently, while addressing areas of weakness! A leader’;s goal and objective must be. to leave his organization, stronger, after his service, than it was, when he began. Genuine service must be based on proceeding, in a relevant manner, and creating a quality system, focused on bringing forth, sustainable solutions!
2. Priorities; perceptions; planning: A great leader addresses, both, the genuine needs, and challenges, as well as the perceptions of his constituents. The priorities of the group, must be served effectively, by the utmost commitment, and degree of meaningful, genuine, relevant, sustainable planning, for the common good!
3. Organized; options: There is no place, for haphazard leadership, because groups are best served, when an organized approach, and plan, is prioritized! This must consider, as many viable options, as necessary, if any leader, is going to make a difference, for the better!
4. Timely; trends; tendencies: Examine relevant tendencies, and those trends, which might make a significant difference, for the better! No real change, for the better, occurs, without / until, the leadership, is timely, relevant, and sustainable!
5. Opportunities; optimize: When a leader prepares, and is ready, to recognize the opportunities, which present themselves, and / or, is able to create his own opportunity, on a regular basis, he becomes capable of optimizing his service, focused on the common good , and a better, more relevant, sustainable future!
4. Needs; nerve; nuances: Needs and priorities, must become the essential focus, of anyone in a leadership position, and there is no such thing, as one – size – fits – all, because a meaningful leader, recognized the nuances of the specific group, and constituents , and proceeds, with the nerve, to expand his personal comfort zone, in a relevant manner!
Are you ready, willing, and able, to become a SPOT – ON leader? How will you exam yourself, with introspection, and objectivity, to become better, and more meaningful, to the organization, and stakeholders?