Setting goals is one thing that many people love to do – find a new job, get a salary raise, buy a new car. The bad news though is most people are not capable of achieving their goals. Let’;s explore the probable reasons why this is so.
First reason why people can not achieve their goals is that they do not have a clear image of what their goals are and the second reason is that they do not act.
Here are six steps that can aid in improving your goal setting skills.
1. Be specific in terms of your goal. You need to be clear with what you really want to accomplish with your goal. Rather than aspiring to be rich, specify a certain amount you want to meet. This way, you make your goal achievable.
2. Establish a timeframe for the goal you will set. It is important to set a particular duration for each goal you make. This will enable you to evaluate as to your performance in terms of achieving the goal.
Likewise, a timeframe can encourage you to work for the deadline and initiate steps in order to achieve your goal. Otherwise, you could be working on that goal for the rest of your life.
3. Be realistic. Putting a touch of realism in your goal can contribute to the authenticity and accomplishment of the goal. Nothing is wrong with setting high expectations but you need to bend your goals a little if you realize that they are not realistic.
Monitor Your Performance. It is very significant to point out your short term goals or what can also be referred to as landmark goals to find out how you are doing with regards to your goal.
This is a means by which you can establish whether you have surpassed or have lagged behind as far as the goals that you have set are concerned. If you are trailing behind, you can make the necessary corrections.
5. Expect Some Obstacles. In most cases, you will encounter obstacles as you aim to meet your goal. Frustration and discouragement are natural occurrences that you may feel. It would be a great achievement if you can surpass these obstacles.
While you might not be able to accomplish your goal, use it as a stepping stone to improve on your achieving goals. Do not lose hope.
6. Identify The Reason Behind Each Goal. At times, pointing out your goal is not enough to encourage you. There could be under reasons because you identified such goals. Use these reasons to encourage you.
Following these basic steps can help you achieve your lifetime goals. If you work hard to accomplish your goal, the dreams that you have longed for may not be far behind.