One of the key reasons, so many organizations, end up, with a dearth of genuine, meaningful, valuable leadership, is they, often, select these individuals, based on their popularity, empty rhetoric and/ or promises, or what they want to be, rather than developing viable solutions, and PLANS. In my, over four decades, of involvement, in nearly, all areas of leadership, from identifying, qualifying, and training, thousands of actual, and/ or potential leaders, to developing, and consulting, and serving, as a leader, personally, for various size, and types of organizations, I have come to strongly believe, the key to being a successful leader, is to effectively plan, in a well – considered, relevant manner, with an open – mind, in order to introduce, and implement the finest strategies, and action plans. With that in mind, this article will attempt to briefly, consider, discuss, and review, using the mnemonic approach, some of the principle necessities.
1. Priorities; perceptions; planning; produce; process: Begin by examining the specific group, including its heritage/ history, mission/ vision, constituents/ stakeholders, etc, and proceeding, based on well – considered, priorities. One must also recognize, a true leader, must address the perceptions of those he serves and represents, as well as, the organization! He must be able to use the finest leadership planning, and respect the process, in order to produce, the finest, possible results!
2. Listen; learn; leadership; lessons: No one has all the answers, so, a quality leader, must focus on effectively listening, and, then, learning from every conversation, and/ or experience, in order to garner, genuine expertise, in order to proceed, with the finest, most relevant, judgment, and wisdom! Real leaders learn lessons, constantly, and proactively, teach others, in an informed way!
3. Attitude; aptitude; attention; action: One must proceed, constantly, with a positive, can – do, attitude, combined with the relevant, sustainable aptitude, to achieve, what is best, and needed! A real leader must be ready, willing and able to pay keen attention, and to proceed, with well – considered, action, for the common good!
4. Needs; necessities; nuances; nerve: Do you have the nerve, to expand the restraints of your personal comfort zone, in order to better, address the needs of others, and your group? Will you dedicate yourself to all the necessities of effectively leading, including addressing the specific nuances of the particular organization?
5. Serve/ service; solutions, system; sustainable: Real leaders focus on service to constituents and the group, and prioritize serving others, above their own personal agenda! They must focus on viable solutions, and developing the best approaches, and system, to produce, and implement, quality, relevant, sustainable plans!
If you hope to become a real leader, it’s essential to focus on quality PLANS. Are you the right person, to be a leader?