After four decades of identifying, training, developing, and consulting to thousands of actual and/ or potential leaders, I have always emphasized the importance of proceeding, in a well – considered, properly planned and implemented, timely manner. A true leader must prepare fully, and be, as organized as possible, so his agenda, helps him, be more effective, responsive, and relevant! Of course, this AGENDA must focus on, and serve his constituents, and organization, focusing on the needs, perceptions, and priorities, to achieve the common – good, and avoiding the easier, but more often traveled path, which is his personal, self – interest. With that in mind, this article will briefly consider, examine, review and discuss, using the mnemonic approach, what this means, why it’s important, and what the keys are.
1. Attitude; attention; astute: If you are either unwilling, or unable, to commit to, and proceed, consistently, with a positive, can – do, attitude, how can you envision the best options and/ or alternatives, and proceed, wisely? A true leader must commit to enhancing his personal skill – set, so he can proceed, in an astute manner, and know, what he must focus on, and dedicate, the majority of his attention to!
2. Generate goodwill; growth: Effective, meaningful, reliable leaders, realize their groups must constantly undergo relevant, sustainable growth, and, to do so, need to consistently generate goodwill, not merely because of their rhetoric and promises, but, rather, based on the quality and impact of their actions!
3. Empathy; energize; excellence: It’s important to address the needs, priorities, and concerns of stakeholders, and, one can only proceed with this high degree of genuine empathy, when he listens effectively, and learns from every conversation and experience! Good – enough is not sufficient, because your constituents deserve the utmost degree and level of excellence!
4. Needs: Whose needs will you address, and emphasize? Unless, until, you abandon your self – interest and personal agenda, and prioritize service to your constituents, and addressing what they need, your agenda will fail to succeed, to its potential!
5. Delve deeply; deliver: Go beyond the surface, as well as merely, the same – old, same – old, but commit to consistently, delve deeply, into the best way to create an agenda, which meaningfully serves both, your organization and constituents! No agenda has its desired impact, unless a leader delivers on his promises, in a relevant manner!
6. Aware; aspire; articulate: One will either proceed, in an aware way, and aspire to serve the genuine needs and priorities of his group and stakeholders, or his message, will fail to gain traction! For this reason, it is imperative, for, a true leader, to be ready, willing, and able, to articulate a motivating, inspiring message, and follow – through on it, by taking viable actions!
Every true leader considers his options, and creates, and follows, an AGENDA, he believes, offers the best opportunities, for success! Will you commit to the process and commitment?