Every year, thousands, either, are elected, selected, and / or ascend to positions of leadership. However, in my, over four decades of involvement, in almost every aspect of leading, and leadership planning, from identifying, qualifying, training, developing, and consulting to thousands of actual and / or potential leaders, to personally, served, as a leader, for various groups and organizations, of varying sizes, purposes, and heritages / missions, I have come to recognize, one of the greatest challenges, an individual faces, is being objectively, introspective, enough, to consider, whatever, what he is doing, is truly, LEADING. With that in mind, this article will briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, using the mnemonic approach, what this means, and representations, and why it matters.
1. Listen; learn; lessons; leadership: Rather than proceeding, with a, My way or the highway , attitude, genuine leaders, realize, leading must be about, listening, and serving the needs, goals, priorities, and perceptions, of their constituents, rather than merely, articulating a personal / political message / agenda, and serving one’;s self-interest. When one effectively listens, and commits, to learning, from every conversation, and experience, he uses these lessons, to demonstrate, he is capable of genuine, meaningful, relevant leadership!
2. Effective; experience; earn; excellence; endurance: How can anyone, ever be effective, if he fails to gain the experience, and use it, to develop, relevant expertise, and judgment? A great leader, consistently earns the trust, of others, by demanding his own maximum, of genuine personal excellence! Since one must, always, overcome obstacles and challenges, he must possess the level of endurance, to pursue, and persist, rather than settle, for good – enough!
Attitude; aptitude; attention; articulate: When one proceeds, with a true, positive, can-do attitude, and the discipline to develop the finest aptitude, combined with focus and paying keen attention, he is, on his way, to leading! Those who are ready, willing, and able to articulate a motivating, inspiring message, he begins, to earn the right, to be a leader!
4. Delve deeply; discover: There’;s no place, for overly simplistic, leadership, because, only when one proceeds, to delvely prove, and discover, the best way, to proceed, he is leading!
5. Ideas; imagination; image; inspiring; ideology; integrity: The combination of genuine, absolute integrity, with possession the imagination, to introduce relevant, sustainable ideas, in an inspiring way, is a major party of leading! When you achieve these, you will consider your image, as worthy of being a true leader!
6. Needs; nuance; nerve: One must be ready, willing and able, to expand the limitations of his personal comfort zone, and proceed, with the nerve, to clearly consider his constituents, and groups needs, with the ability to use the nuances, which the particular organization , requires!
6. Generate goodwill; growth: Groups, either undergo, consistent growth, or they lose relevance, and sustainability! Leading must include generating goodwill, based on how you act, act, and treat others!
Are you prepared for LEADING ? Are you up, to the task?