After more than four decades of involvement, in nearly all aspects of leadership, from identifying, qualifying, training, developing, and consulting to thousands of actual, and/ or potential leaders, to personally, serving in a variety of positions, in both larger and smaller organizations, with various focuses, etc, I have come to strongly believe, we spend too little time, and emphasis, on how one develops the best, most appropriate SYSTEM, to best serve, his particular organization. With that in mind, this article will attempt to briefly, consider, review, and discuss, using the mnemonic approach, some of the principle components, of why this is so essential, and necessary.
1. Strengths; service; stronger: One must take a genuine, introspective, objective look, at his personal strengths (as well as weaknesses), and commit to using these, in the best possible manner, in order to be able to provide the highest level of service, for his particular group, in order to make it considerably stronger, and more relevant!
2. You; your; yes: One will never make a difference, for the better, unless/ until, he is ready, willing, able, to say, yes, to the possibilities, rather than merely, remaining within the limitations of his self – imposed, comfort zone! If you are a leader, you must focus on serving, and providing your best, for the group, etc. It is, indeed, up, to you!
3. Sustainable; system; solutions: Avoid seeking the path, of least resistance, and perceive and conceive of, create, and implement the finest possible, most relevant, sustainable system. A real leader must seek solutions, rather than short – term, fixes, and look at the bigger, long – term, picture!
4. Truthful; trust; trends; timely: Unless one will be truthful, at all times, even when, it’s less than the easiest path, will you earn, the right to be considered, a leader! One must earn the trust, by identifying, those trends, which will make the group, stronger and more relevant/ sustainable, and avoid the tendency to procrastinate, and be willing to proceed, with well – considered, timely actions, etc!
5. Empathy; emphasis; excellence; enrich: A leader must strive to enrich his group, and to leave it stronger, more relevant and sustainable, when he finishes, than when he began, his service! To do so, he must effectively listen, and learn, from every conversation, and experience, in order to proceed, with genuine empathy, and place his emphasis, where it will do the most good! Never accept good – enough, but demand your highest degree of personal excellence!
6, Make mark; motivate; mention: How might a leader, best, make his mark, in the most positive, relevant way? It’s essential to motivate and inspire, those one serves and represents, and this, begins, by mentioning the contributions, made by those, one serves and represents!
Will you perceive, and conceive of, what’s needed, and necessary, and introduce, create, and implement, the finest SYSTEM, which benefits those you serve and represent? Are you up, to the task?