The gold standard for intelligence has moved on from IQ to Emotional Intelligence quotient (EQ.)
Emotional Intelligence is the measure of regulating the emotions of ourselves and others. It determines our ability to work with others, ability to perform and stress management. EQ is more of how we produce and use our emotions.
It is also defined as the ability of a person to recognize his/her own behaviors, emotions and impulses and to manage them according to the situation. In possession emotional intelligence quotient is possession of good social and communication skills.
Emotional intelligence is categorized into
1. Social competency-It determines how we handle relationships. This includes readiness, empathy, political acumen and social skills.
2. Personal competency-These competencies determine how we manage ourselves. Self-awareness, self-regulation and motivation are those classified under personal competencies.
Social competencies are
Intuition: It is the decision-making tool. It’s hard for the future decision makers to go very far with just the analytical skill. The corporate world today demands more of emotional reaction and original thinking for making the right decision.
Empathy: The awareness for the feelings, emotions, needs and concerns of others is called empathy. Empathy plays a major role in the workplace, in providing excellent customer service, people development understanding and moving about with others.
Political Acumen: It is essential to understand the political landscape at work, in order to avoid the negative impacts of organizational politics.
Social competencies of emotional intelligence are required in the workplace for the following reasons:
• To influence team members in order to achieve the desired results and persuade them
• To communicate effectively, thus sending across messages that convince others and make clear of what is expected or conveyed.
• To inspire others as a leader and to guide them
• To initiate and manage change in workplace
• To nurture relationships thus leading to business success
• To move about effectively with coworkers
Personal competencies of Emotional intelligence include
Self-awareness: Recognizing our own emotions and how they recognize our own thoughts and behavior is what is essential for proper performance in workplace. Knowing our strengths and weakness and developing self-confidence is the prime for success in career.
Self-regulation: Regulating ourselves is an essential component of Emotional intelligence. It is important to manage change that life brings in and for this we require self-regulation. Changes are the one which never change and so regulating ourselves to adapt to the new and different environ is essential.
Motivation: The ability to remain optimistic and to keep ourselves going even in case of failures and setbacks is called as motivation. Motivation is the one which makes us move towards our goals and desire. Facing organizational commitments, learning to improve performance, setting up challenging goals and being ready to seize opportunities is the most essential in today’s corporate environment. These can be done only with motivation.
These competencies together make up the Emotional Intelligence quotient and possessing these skills are essential to succeed in the highly competitive, fast-moving, hi-tech world.